Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Road Trip...Road to California!

I am so stinking excited, I can't stand it!  Tomorrow is the first quilting class I have taken in SEVERAL years!  It is ONE big step towards my goal on making 2011 more creative!  I'm going to Road To California and I'm taking a Hoochy Mama Class by Marylou Weidman! 

Marylou Weidman (pronounced WIDEman) is my most favorite quilter (check out her blog here).  I LOVE her quilting style, her quilts are full of color, very whimsical and just plain fun!  I can get lost in them.  I took her Every day angels class about 10 years ago and she was sooooo nice.  I was so star struck, I felt like a 12 year old girl meeting her favorite Spice Girl (I know, dorky).  That Everyday Angels quilt is my challenge.  I have a border pieces sewn and that's about it.  You can read more about it here.

Any who, I really wanted to take one of her 2 day classes but they were full, so I got the last Hoochy Mama spot and that suits me just fine.  I went to Joanns to pick out fabric for these wonky blocks.  It was interesting.  I purposely tried to be very carefree in picking out fabric.  The class list suggests different patterns, colors, geometrics etc.  Every time I stood back to look at my stash, I realized that even though I had many colors, the value was very similar.  In other words, I tend to pick mostly mediums for the most part.  It was really hard to get a true light or a true dark.  So here's what I ended up with.  I will also pull out some unique fabrics from my home stash to take too.  I can't wait to see how the HOOCHY MAMA blocks turn out. 

Road to California is a HUGE show. If you haven't been before, I highly recomend it.  Since my class is on Wednesday and the show doesn't open to the public until Thursday, I figure the prudent thing to do is to stay in a motel on Wednesday and stay over for the opening of the show on Thursday.  Brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment