Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Proud to be a Daddy's Girl



This is my dad.  Max Pearce, Jr.  He was born in Georgia, 1941. 
He was the only child of the woman who would ultimately be the 
best grandmother a child could ever want.
He was the best dad this girl could ever dream of.    

So my dad was 70.  
But no one would have guessed it.  
He was tall, strong and quiet.  
He was honest, sincere and genuine.  
He was funny, handsome and hard working.  
He was an amazing cook, the best tour guide and a wiz with a roll of duct tape.
He was a husband, a father, a father in law, a grandfather, and a friend
He was creative, clever and loyal.
He was this girls Dad.


On August 24th, we lost this great man to a very mean and ugly disease...
Cancer. 
 I  HATE you Cancer.  
I HATE that you took my dad from me WAY to early.  
I HATE that you snuck up on us like thief in the night.  
I HATE that you were so quiet, we didn't even know you were there, until it was too late.  
I HATE that because of you my dad won't see his grandkids become great adults.  
I HATE that because of you my stepmom is left feeling lonely because
YOU took away the love of her life.   
I HATE that because of you I have a hole in my heart the size of the earth.
I HATE that because of you I have lost the first man I ever loved,
My dad.

But ya know, Cancer.  There are a lot of things you will NEVER be able to take.

Because in so many ways this apple proudly did not fall far from it's mighty tree: 
Like my dad, I am tall, strong and quiet.  
Like my dad, I am honest, sincere and genuine.  
Like my dad, I am funny, handsome (not so much) and hard working.  
Like my dad, I am becoming an amazing cook, I appreciate all that a good roll of colorful duct tape can do.
Like my dad, I am creative, clever and loyal.

I am proud to be his daughter.

I'll miss you and love you forever, Dad.
Love Always,
 forever your Daddy's Girl,
Kim.




3 comments:

  1. Oh...and cancer took my 2 favorite dogs this year too. Buh Bye cancer, take a frickin hike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tears in my eyes and goose bumps all over me! what a blessing to have such a wonderful dad and what an amazing daughter you are to write this!!!

    HUGE hugs, kim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kim, what a beautiful tribute to your dad's legacy! Sending you hugs and prayers that you can remember and share the good times. I sadly understand your loss because I also lost my dad much too soon. I was just 20 years old when my own dad lost his battle with something the world was just learning about, emphysema. Such a wonderful, generous, caring and loving dad he was! And this year, 41 years later, I realized that have lived more years than he was able to enjoy and share. Each day I try to honor his legacy and live the kind of life that would make him proud to be my father.
    hugs to you and your family,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete